Saturday, January 9, 2010

Meeting: Part 2

After many re-scheduling attempts we finally met with the case worker and birth mother.  It was a little strained, but overall I think it went well.  The case worker thought so too.  The birth mother asked us some direct questions; about Aaron, what Joel does for a living, what my parents do/did, if we live busy lives, if we have talked to anyone else about adoption, how do we feel about adopting a Hispanic child, did we prefer a boy or a girl, have I always liked football.  I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.  There was a connection with Aaron.  She almost lost her son from an accidental ingestion of cintronella oil.  He was in ICU for 2 weeks, but he survived and is a normally, healthy, happy boy.  She was interested in knowing about my life growing up on a ranch.  She said she would love to live in the country like that, on a farm.  We showed her a picture of Aaron and she showed us some pictures of her daughter (7) & son (4).  They're adorable.  She admitted she's a little biased towards her son because of the "close call".

Her disposition was a little hard to read.  I don't think she felt well, she had taken some phenergen earlier in the day and was extremely tired.  She seemed to go out of her way to flash me a smile every so often, which made me feel more at ease.  It might have also been a little uncomfortable for her as her "friend" came with her.  He was a nice, young, Hispanic man.

We found out a little bit more about her "raising".  She said she was pretty much on her own, from the time she was 11.  She lived with her grandfather who had altzheimer's, so she had to pretty much take care of herself.  Bless her heart, she's had it hard.  She's lived in California and all over Texas.

So now we wait for the case worker to let us know if the birth mother has solely chosen us or if she wants to meet with other families before deciding for sure.

Wow.  That's a lot of information, but I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something.  I'll be sure to post more if I remember or as soon as we hear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment